Skip to main content

What To Do When You Can't See Your Child - Custodial Interference

Custodial interference is where a parent refuses to honor a parent time order. Parents not following a parent time order are at risk for custodial interference. If you do not have an order, there is no custodial interference. This article will help you understand what you need to do if the other parent is refusing to let you contact the child, or what you should do if the other parent wants contact.

1. What You Should Do If You Cannot See Your Children.

This is a common problem. One parent moves out and the other has the children. The parent with the children is withholding parent time, and you are feeling powerless and are missing your children. These situations are a difficult one to bear. Unfortunately, calling the police will not help, and unless the children are in danger of immediate and irreparable harm, there's little you can do to change things immediately.
Your best course of action if there's no danger is to immediately file with the court. File a petition for custody or divorce and a motion for temporary orders. This is not a quick solution, but the longer you wait, the worse your position gets for custody.
One other thing you can do is ask the police to be present to keep the peace while you attempt to pick up the children for parent time. You will create a record of your attempts and may intimidate the other parent into letting you have parent time.

2. Best Ways To Avoid Custodial Interference

If you have custody of your children and the other parent is requesting time, what you have to do depends on whether you have an order or not. If there is a court order for parent time, then you need to follow the order. You are at risk of custodial interference charges unless you can show that the children are at risk for abuse if they are turned over to the other parent, and you have notified the authorities.
Where there is no order, it is in your best interest to make sure you are not withholding parent time. Although it may seem worthwhile to keep the children from seeing your soon to be ex, it could backfire on you in court. Unless you know what custody arrangement you want, or there is some danger to the children, you should give the other parent the minimum statutory amount of parent time. That means 3 hours every week and every other weekend from Friday to Sunday night.

3. What if the Children are in Danger?

If you're in a situation where the children are in danger, then you need to act quickly. You should notify the police and the Department of Children and Family Services of the potential danger. You then will need to either pursue a protective order, a temporary restraining order or some other temporary order for custody.
What you do depends on your particular circumstances. If your children are in danger, it is highly recommended that you give us a call.


Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on a Right To Remain Silent

I recently had the opportunity to do a preliminary hearing for a woman who was charged with obstruction of justice. The charge was dismissed with prejudice because the a local city with an infamously incompetent police force improperly charged her. I had several thoughts after this victory, ranging from how great my performance was, to how significant my mistakes were in spite of my victory. I'll go over what I felt I did right and wrong in the hopes that it will benefit some other attorney, or myself, at some point. What Happened A woman was charged with Obstruction of Justice, which is a fairly long statute. The situation was that a police officer came to her home to investigate a crime. Her son had some active warrants, but the police officer didn't know that at the time. The officer had both the son and the woman outside, asking them questions about his investigation. He then asked her for her personal info. Then he asked the son. The son gave the officer incorrect inform…

The Real Reason Your Divorce Costs So Much

You started a divorce, hired a great attorney that was recommended to you, and now costs are ballooning out of control. It's been 9 months and it feels like you're no closer to a divorce settlement than when you started. The reason you're not done is likely for one of two reasons: Your spouse is being unreasonable.You are being unreasonable. No, it's not your attorney. Despite the wide range of talents in the legal field here in Utah, I feel confident in stating that they all are competent in the basic flow of divorce cases and can and want to get you to the finish line (or risk malpractice). Some attorneys are better at negotiation than others, but all of them are likely smart enough to identify a good deal and tell you to take it. It's either you or your spouse, and -- spoiler -- it's probably you. You Should Be More Reasonable If your divorce has stalled, you need to ask yourself why. Take an honest look at everything you're asking for. Are you trying to…

Finding The Best Attorney For Your Money

Choosing the best attorney to represent you is an important decision. You likely have no experience with legal matters and similarly little experience with attorneys. What you already know is that they cost a lot of money. You may have considered handling your legal problems on your own, but found that it was too complicated. So you are now ready to trust your problem in the hands of a professional, but you have no idea what to expect, and what is a worthwhile use of your time. This article will help you find the best attorney for your money: General Things You Should Expect Of Your Attorney 1. The best attorney should be in regular communication. Attorneys work for you, so you should expect that they will keep you in the loop. Your attorney should be regularly contacting you, or letting you know that you will not hear from him for a set time for a specific reason. You shouldn't expect daily contact or contact multiple times per week, but you should be in regular contact with you…