Skip to main content

How to Enforce Your Divorce or Custody Decree


Enforcing your Divorce DecreeIf your ex-spouse is not paying child support, child care or medical expenses, or is bad mouthing you to your children, you need decree enforcement. You need to motion the court to hold an order to show cause hearing. Click here if you're looking to change your decree. If you are looking to set aside your decree, please see here.
These are the steps you need to take to start the process: (1) a Motion, detailing the violations of your ex; (2) a declaration in support of the motion along with supporting evidence; and (3) a proposed order which you will have the court sign and then serve upon your ex-spouse.  You will need to schedule a date for the hearing with at least 28 days so your ex-spouse has enough time to respond. Be aware that during this 28 day period your ex-spouse may also bring their own motion against you. You should respond if this happens.


The court will consider the language of the decree, the testimony of the parties, and any evidence introduced. The court will then make a judgment. You will need to summarize your argument. Make sure your argument is concise and that you do not focus on your personal feelings. The court then makes a judgment on contempt. Possible punishments include (1) fines, (2) jail time, (3) community service, and (4) parenting classes. The court may also order other things as appropriate.
This is not a quick process, and that frustrates people. It can sometimes take several hearings.
Decree enforcement can be intimidating. It's not easy to stand up before a commissioner and plead your case persuasively. Judges are overworked, and will often lose focus or become frustrated if you don't quickly get to the point. At Solon Law, we can provide you with quality representation that will help you put forth the best case possible to increase your chances of holding your ex-spouse in contempt. We take the time to listen to your problems, and collaborate in creating a motion that is best designed to get results. We also provide flexible representation options that can fit your budget.
Divorce doesn't have to be a constant source of stress. If you're ready to put a stop to your ex's indiscretions, get your motion for an Order to Show Cause ready today! Call us now and we can help you enforce your decree.

If you need more assistance, feel free to contact us! Solon Law provides excellent legal representation for very competitive prices!


Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on a Right To Remain Silent

I recently had the opportunity to do a preliminary hearing for a woman who was charged with obstruction of justice. The charge was dismissed with prejudice because the a local city with an infamously incompetent police force improperly charged her. I had several thoughts after this victory, ranging from how great my performance was, to how significant my mistakes were in spite of my victory. I'll go over what I felt I did right and wrong in the hopes that it will benefit some other attorney, or myself, at some point. What Happened A woman was charged with Obstruction of Justice, which is a fairly long statute. The situation was that a police officer came to her home to investigate a crime. Her son had some active warrants, but the police officer didn't know that at the time. The officer had both the son and the woman outside, asking them questions about his investigation. He then asked her for her personal info. Then he asked the son. The son gave the officer incorrect inform…

The Real Reason Your Divorce Costs So Much

You started a divorce, hired a great attorney that was recommended to you, and now costs are ballooning out of control. It's been 9 months and it feels like you're no closer to a divorce settlement than when you started. The reason you're not done is likely for one of two reasons: Your spouse is being unreasonable.You are being unreasonable. No, it's not your attorney. Despite the wide range of talents in the legal field here in Utah, I feel confident in stating that they all are competent in the basic flow of divorce cases and can and want to get you to the finish line (or risk malpractice). Some attorneys are better at negotiation than others, but all of them are likely smart enough to identify a good deal and tell you to take it. It's either you or your spouse, and -- spoiler -- it's probably you. You Should Be More Reasonable If your divorce has stalled, you need to ask yourself why. Take an honest look at everything you're asking for. Are you trying to…

Finding The Best Attorney For Your Money

Choosing the best attorney to represent you is an important decision. You likely have no experience with legal matters and similarly little experience with attorneys. What you already know is that they cost a lot of money. You may have considered handling your legal problems on your own, but found that it was too complicated. So you are now ready to trust your problem in the hands of a professional, but you have no idea what to expect, and what is a worthwhile use of your time. This article will help you find the best attorney for your money: General Things You Should Expect Of Your Attorney 1. The best attorney should be in regular communication. Attorneys work for you, so you should expect that they will keep you in the loop. Your attorney should be regularly contacting you, or letting you know that you will not hear from him for a set time for a specific reason. You shouldn't expect daily contact or contact multiple times per week, but you should be in regular contact with you…