Skip to main content

How to Set Aside a Decree

You can set aside your divorce or custody decree shortly after its signed. This process is complicated, and you should consider speaking to an attorney. For your personal information, however, the following information can help you decide if you need to set aside your decree.
  • There is a Typo or Some other Error in the Decree

If you receive your decree and there is a typo or error in the document, you may have grounds to have the decree set aside. If a crucial part of your decree is missing, or says something different than you had agreed, you can have the court make a correction through motion.
  • I Made a Mistake or Found Something Out Too Late

A mistake in judgment may be enough to set aside your decree. However, this does not guarantee success, and your mistake will need to be a significant one. Feeling bad about your decision is not enough. If you have more questions, you should speak to an attorney about your situation. If you are surprised by some new fact after your decree was signed, you may be able to set aside your decree. The surprise must affect the decree in some significant way in order to succeed.
  • I Found New Evidence That Was Not Previously Available

Finding new evidence after a trial and decree could be enough to set it aside. You need to consider two things: (1) would the evidence change the outcome, and (2) could I have found it before now?
The evidence must have the ability to change the outcome. If this is your situation, you should speak to an attorney as soon as possible. You must also consider whether you could have found the evidence before now. The biggest question to consider is whether you could have learned this fact or found this person during the trial through reasonable efforts. If you did not use all of your discovery methods, you may be out of luck.
  • My Ex Lied to Me

If the only reason you agreed to something was because the other side lied to you, you may have grounds to set aside the decree. This is called fraud. You will need to show that the other intentionally lied to you in some way, and that you relied on that lie. You may also be able to set aside your decree if you can show that the other side misrepresented a fact.
  • 90 Day Time Limit

Time is of the essence when you set aside a decree. In most cases, you only have 90 days to set aside. If it has been longer than 90 days, there may still be hope. If you think you may have a case to set aside your decree, call an attorney immediately. The longer you wait, the less likely your claim is going to succeed.
Remember, if there is a problem or mistake, you may be able to set aside your decree!
You don't need to live with a mistake. If there are any questions, feel free to contact us at 801-810-9136, or visit us at our website!


Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on a Right To Remain Silent

I recently had the opportunity to do a preliminary hearing for a woman who was charged with obstruction of justice. The charge was dismissed with prejudice because the a local city with an infamously incompetent police force improperly charged her. I had several thoughts after this victory, ranging from how great my performance was, to how significant my mistakes were in spite of my victory. I'll go over what I felt I did right and wrong in the hopes that it will benefit some other attorney, or myself, at some point. What Happened A woman was charged with Obstruction of Justice, which is a fairly long statute. The situation was that a police officer came to her home to investigate a crime. Her son had some active warrants, but the police officer didn't know that at the time. The officer had both the son and the woman outside, asking them questions about his investigation. He then asked her for her personal info. Then he asked the son. The son gave the officer incorrect inform…

The Real Reason Your Divorce Costs So Much

You started a divorce, hired a great attorney that was recommended to you, and now costs are ballooning out of control. It's been 9 months and it feels like you're no closer to a divorce settlement than when you started. The reason you're not done is likely for one of two reasons: Your spouse is being unreasonable.You are being unreasonable. No, it's not your attorney. Despite the wide range of talents in the legal field here in Utah, I feel confident in stating that they all are competent in the basic flow of divorce cases and can and want to get you to the finish line (or risk malpractice). Some attorneys are better at negotiation than others, but all of them are likely smart enough to identify a good deal and tell you to take it. It's either you or your spouse, and -- spoiler -- it's probably you. You Should Be More Reasonable If your divorce has stalled, you need to ask yourself why. Take an honest look at everything you're asking for. Are you trying to…

Finding The Best Attorney For Your Money

Choosing the best attorney to represent you is an important decision. You likely have no experience with legal matters and similarly little experience with attorneys. What you already know is that they cost a lot of money. You may have considered handling your legal problems on your own, but found that it was too complicated. So you are now ready to trust your problem in the hands of a professional, but you have no idea what to expect, and what is a worthwhile use of your time. This article will help you find the best attorney for your money: General Things You Should Expect Of Your Attorney 1. The best attorney should be in regular communication. Attorneys work for you, so you should expect that they will keep you in the loop. Your attorney should be regularly contacting you, or letting you know that you will not hear from him for a set time for a specific reason. You shouldn't expect daily contact or contact multiple times per week, but you should be in regular contact with you…